Monday, June 8, 2015

the Concept of False Hunger


 http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.ca/2015/03/study-discovers-how-avandia-and-actos.html

"Remember, most of the time, hunger is a symptom. When you feel hungry, you need to do detective work to find out what is causing that hunger. If it is irrational, consider the medications you are taking."

 So does this mean that any hunger other than four to six hours after eating is irrational, or not logical, therefor false hunger?

http://www.chuckrowtaichi.com/ch.html

In order not to be ruled by false hunger (hunger for unnecessary or harmful substances), it is necessary to do two things: (1) learn to recognize the basis of your sensation of hunger and (2) educate your body not to send the wrong messages. False hunger falls into nine basic categories: (1) low blood sugar; (2) an irritation of the lining of the stomach; (3) addictions; (4) the discomfort of the body in utilizing reserves; (5) a desire for stimulation; (6) a genuine need for essential nutrients, expressed by a craving for food dilute in those nutrients; (7) tiredness experienced as a need for food; (8) thinking about, seeing, or smelling food; and (9) habituation to regularity. 

+(10) distraction from boredom, stress, life, anxiety 

These are someone else words for the 4/5 of my groups: Physical, maladaptive, environmental, food addiction, but more specific.

Is false hunger a better handle for the problem? It leaves use with a do not eat concept, but do something else. The exact cause is not known yet, all we need to do is not eat.  

The concept of take responsibility, identify the actual problem, address the actual problem, may be useful. The problem is _____________________. Like I just do not want to be here, doing this. What are the choices? ____________________ go away, and do ____________. find a new life without paper? Doing something we do not enjoy is different that doing something we do not like. That " like " is a continuum: enjoy, ambivalent, dislike, will not do. Now what about the costs of not doing something? Can I afford to not do it, or afford to do what I want to do?

Do I even know what I want to do, or what would satisfy me?

So now there is potentially 3 issues, real hunger, false hunger and cravings. Ok, so what? Well just perhaps taking the problem apart even further will allow more insight. So then I suffer, not from hunger, but false hunger. So the causes of false hunger are physical, not mental. Either way, they still must be resisted or displaced. Other things I want to do can displace them, but only up to exaustion. Sleep can displace them, but there are distraction from that. So now it is stay up, fight false hunger, and do X or fore go what I want to stay up for and sleep. Choice eat or sleep.   

Picture because I can


  

2 comments :

  1. I think it's simpler than that. I break hunger into two categories: physiological hunger (my body needs nutrients) and psychological hunger (I WANT to eat-- cravings, boredom, stress, and habit all fall into this general heading).

    Just recognizing the difference is important. I feed physiological hunger and problem solve psychological hunger (ignore, relieve stress, delaying tactics, make a healthier version of a craved food to eat when truly hungry, etc).

    Back in my days of eating processed carbage that low blood sugar hunger (feed me NOW) dogged me. I am free of that hunger, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, I think you are missing a whole third category which only some of us suffer from, and for me was not defined until false hunger. It is physical generated feeling of hunger after we have eaten. It is likely many do not get this, but the false hunger concept describes this. It is not psychological, but a physical problem.

    ReplyDelete

please feel fee to comment. Links to other websites are not accepted. Links to related articles are. Negative comments will be delegated with the second finger.